Hello there, beautiful bookworms! I know, I know; it’s been AGES since you’ve last heard from me. I admit; these past few months have been insane. I got off my butt and started dating again, met good and not-so-good people, found a wonderful and charming guy who eventually became my boyfriend, got sick for nearly a month, and so on and so forth.
But my personal life isn’t the topic of this post. So let’s talk more about something tangientially related to books, which is my online fandom-inspired jewelry shop, Chiqui Creates!
You may recall that a couple of months ago I blogged all about the opening of my jewelry shop and hosted a giveaway for it! And after that this blog kind of… fizzled a bit. But that’s only because I had been very busy running my shop, getting brand representatives, and actually making jewelry and bookmarks to list! And during these past two months, I learned that…
Running a bookish jewelry shop is a lot of work
Or just running a shop, in general! Of course, I knew that beforehand already, but combined with other commitments and just adulting in general, I barely had time to actually sit down and read a book, much less blog. I always thought my time management skills were acceptable enough, but apparently not! Or maybe it’s just because there are not enough hours in a day to do all the things I want, lol!
Here are a few things I need to pay attention to:
- My Instagram account for Chiqui Creates: Instagram is where I do most of my marketing, at least for now, and it’s the biggest source of traffic to my website. So I post regularly, keep everyone updated, and engage in friends and followers to raise awareness of my brand and to keep it fresh in their memories.
- My brand representatives: A mix of awesome people who applied when I hosted a rep search and a few I contacted personally, they’re the most help when it comes to word of mouth. I keep them updated on latest discounts, products, and offers, and of course I send them products from my store on a monthly basis.
- Improving my Shopify store: You can read why I chose Shopify as a platform in my other post about Chiqui Creates. Shopify has been awesome for me so far, and I’m always looking to add more functionalities to help make the shopping process easier and to make my site more appealing too!
- Photos for my products: Thankfully, my brand reps have made this a lot easier, but there are still some photos that I take on my own, especially of upcoming products.
- Researching and designing new products: Of course, I can’t have new products if I don’t design more! I spend a lot of time coming up with new designs and testing them, and sometimes even trashing some of my works and trying out something else.
But it’s okay, because I’m learning a lot!
There is so much to learn about running an online business but I think I’m slowly getting the hang of it. Online research combined with Shopify’s incredibly useful digest (another reason why you should sign up for Shopify) helped me a lot along the way, and I could say that although I have much more to learn, I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished so far.
The best part is? It’s fun!
I don’t deny it: Running an online shop is a blast. I’ve combined two things I love–jewelry and books–and combined it into something I enjoy doing and showing to other people. I love it when people appreciate my hard work, and I’m so flattered when they like it enough to purchase it! It’s fulfilling and rewarding and I can see myself doing this as long as I’m able to.
I’ll be writing more about running an online shop in the upcoming weeks! This will include things I’ve learned, plus tips and a few apps that I use for my online store, Chiqui Creates. So be on the lookout for that!
Do you like the idea of a bookish jewelry shop? What are your favorite bookish shops or merchandise?